Thursday, November 10, 2011

What are the MOST important things in Customer Service???

You can probably go to Barnes and Noble and find 1000 different books with 1000 different opinions. But the lists should be the same. Specific to Magazines.com and I, these are the things I think are the tops...

If you haven't known me that long you will soon find out that I firmly believe in the theory that everything I needed to know I learned in the 2nd grade, none of these things should be an Earth shattering piece of info for you.

#1 - ACTIVE Listening. There is a reason for the ACTIVE in active listening. Bottom line, you cannot help the customer if you don't understand why they are calling. You must be in tune to the 1st statement the customer says. If you are actively listening you can answer all their concerns/questions.

#2 - Give the customer the information they requested. Seems easy enough. But if you are not actively listening this is something that can be a huge detriment. I love bullet points, if a customer comes on the line and says "hey, I need some help, I have this charge I don't understand, I need to order some magazines and why does it take so long to get my mags..." I like to take things 1 at a time and get the customer their answer. "I can help you with all those things. Let's start by locating your account so we can see about this charge." Find the account, go over the charge. "Great, now that we have the charge taken care of let's get your orders going." Take care of the orders. "And finally let’s talk about why the magazines take the time that they take." The KEY to this is I let the customer know right up front that I would answer all her questions 1 at a time. If you don't do that it is quite common for the customer to believe you didn't hear everything and they may start repeating questions or becoming frustrated.

#3 - To quote one of my all-time favorite movies - Roadhouse. "Be Nice". Be nice to the customers, what did you learn about manners in the 2nd grade? Please, thank you, listen, do not speak when someone else is speaking..... These all are great customer service tools. If the customer is upset....Be nice. If they are Irate....Be nicer! If you have to call the help desk you can both....be nice!


These 3 things when done effectively will handle most every issue. MOST customers just want good service, they are trying to get something for nothing.

2 comments:

  1. You want a lesson in learing how to deal with irate customers? Try setting a concert or private event worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with a promotor who is irate because of any number of things that have gone wrong and is refusing to pay! Talk about needing ACTIVE LISTENING skills. Thats why I love our customers so much, depsite how angry and irate they start off, by simply listening well and respoding directly to them in a kind manner, the calls usually always end with a thank you to me!

    ReplyDelete