Thursday, November 13, 2014

A Simple Question

What are you worth working for?


This is important for you.   You probably have some dreams.   Some people have goals.   A wish list or a bucket list. 

During the interview process I always ask people “What do you want to be when you grow up.”    Younger people typically still have aspirations of going to college, many people say some type of social work.    Then I ask what are they doing to get there.    “Well, nothing.”     You’re not just going to become a social worker.   You’re not just going to wake up one day with a law degree or the knowledge to be a doctor.  It takes work. 

Unless you are one of the extremely fortunate people who win the lottery for the jackpot  more than likely a big pile of money isn’t going to fall into your lap.   You, like the rest of us have to work for it. 

Some of the things on your list you probably don’t want to work for.   That’s OK, the choice is yours.   I think it would be pretty cool to be a teacher.   But at this point in my life it probably isn’t going to happen.  I haven’t worked toward that.  I could.   But I won’t.    For me, that’s OK.     Maybe you want to do that.  That’s OK too.

I believe that the quality of live you will have is in direct proportion to the amount of work you are willing to put into it.   Social workers tend not to make a great amount of money.  But they are driven to help people and over the course of a career they can help a tremendous amount of people.   They put in the work and the few that I know are extremely happy with their lives.   They work hard for other people and their quality of life is terrific.   

“Fact: If standard of living is your number one objective, quality of life almost never improves. But if quality of life is your number one objective, standard of living invariably improves.” ~ Zig Ziglar


In a nutshell, figure out what you are passionate about and then work for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment