Thursday, November 13, 2014

Everyone Makes Mistakes

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. Michael Jordan Arguably the best basketball player to ever play the game. He missed 9000 shots. Loser! A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying. B. F. Skinner You’d be amazed how many times in my interviews when I ask a person about the biggest mistake they ever made, they sit back, take a deep breath and say “gosh, I just can’t think of a mistake I ever made.” Really? You never had a typo? Never placed an order wrong? Worked fast food and never made the wrong sandwich or accidentally poured coke instead of diet? Really? I consider myself pretty good at what I do and I make mistakes all the time! Just today Bill came into my office and said one of the new reps didn’t know what her goal was, he went to the board and the goals posted are September goals. My fault! Why is it so hard to just admit that for some people? We spend more effort trying to cover up our mistakes than we do just learning from them. Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous. Alexander Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment